Monday 11 January 2010

Grow your own?


I'm missing my vegetable garden.  Having moved just over a year ago from a house with a garden large enough for a sizeable vegetable plot, I am currently looking at my half-completed courtyard garden and considering the new planting in terms of productivity.  My aim is to create a garden that uses largely productive plants to tick both ornamental and culinary boxes.  There are plenty of plants to choose from that will thrive in my south-facing patch, and I have my eye on a Noir de Caromb fig for the giant Cretan pot currently stranded outside the front door.  I need to remove the fence to get it into the back garden, but once there the pot and tree will make a great statement and set the tone for the rest of the garden. 
Asparagus - tricky to get going, but giving a long display of its hazy fern when established - is also on my hit-list, along with masses of the woody Mediterranean herbs that I love for their form and flowers as well as their value in the kitchen.  A vine should cope outdoors in this sheltered aspect - maybe a scented Muscat, the type of grape it's difficult to buy in the shops, is pushing my luck, but it has to be worth a try, doesn't it?
And then there will be the annual crops - there are some classy-looking individuals here as well, but they need careful deployment to fit in without turning the planting into an allotment.  Leek 'Saint-Victor', with glaucous blue leaves is both delicious, and if allowed to run to seed in a few cases, beautifully ornamental as well, the loose allium head standing at head height and fading through the winter.  Sweetcorn, with silky grass tassels and the red-flushed Cos lettuce, 'Cocarde' should look good with red orache weaving through them.
Well, that's a start - for the time being I have to satisfy myself with a photo of a frosted plant pot, and a well-thumbed seed catalogue.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I stumbled across your blog through blotanical - what a visual treat your images are! I think your future garden sounds both delicious and beautiful. I look forward to seeing photos as your courtyard garden grows. I like the frosted pot!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, debsgarden! Glad you like the work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your site is so beautifully stylish, imaginatively presented and packed with interesting comment. Your images are breathtaking with a simplicity that belies, I am sure, the complexity of creating such compositions. I have become instantly a 'Follower'.

    I was so heartened with your comment about garden design starting with the architecture of the house. In my opinion, so few people take this into account - a point I shall be making in my own blog postings.

    I wish you every success in your new garden ventures.

    ReplyDelete